ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY: Safety Tips
EHS Tip of the Week: Back Safety
Injuring your back can be a lifelong discomfort. With proper lifting and carrying techniques you can greatly reduce the risk of back injury.
- Always lift with your legs.
- Never bend over and lift with your back no matter how small the load. Frequently back injuries occur from very small, light loads.
- Keep the load close to your body when carrying. This is referred to as the ‘PowerZone."
- Make sure you have a good hold on the load and keep your feet spaced evenly with your shoulders.
- Don’t twist when you lift as this can easily add to the chances of suffering a back injury.
- Use a smooth motion while lifting and carrying.
- Know your limits. If it is too heavy, get help.
- Always prepare your lift. Plan it out so you do not injure yourself.
Think Safe, Work Safe, Stay Safe