ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY: Safety Tips
Summer Bug Safety Tips
- Summer is always a time when insects and other outdoor pests become an issue.
- Don’t go outside with perfumes or scented soaps, as these attract insects.
- Avoid wearing brightly colored clothing.
- Stay away from stagnant water areas and heavily wooded areas. These are perfect homes for mosquitos and other pests.
- Certain types of bees can live in the ground, so avoid walking barefoot in grassy areas.
- Predictions are ticks will be out in force this year. Check yourself and children for ticks after outdoor activity.
- Use insect repellent, as directed, if you are outside for a period of time.
- Remember dusk and dawn are the highest activity times for mosquitos and other flying insects.
- If bitten by an insect, use a cloth dampened with cool water or some ice. Have some hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion on hand. A baking soda paste also works very well.