ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY: Safety Tips to Prevent Vehicle Thefts
Every 43.8 seconds a vehicle is stolen in the U.S.; 721,885 were stolen in 2019. It is a big business for thieves. Here are some tips to prevent vehicle theft.
- Never leave keys or fobs in the car, not even for a minute.
- Always park in a well-lit area at night.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle, such as a phone, iPad or sports equipment, that will attract the attention of a criminal.
- Keep your windows closed so someone can not reach in and unlock the doors.
- Know your license plate number and vehicle id number. The sooner police have this information the better.
- Never leave children or pets in an unoccupied car.
- Don’t leave a spare key on the vehicle. Thieves know where to look.
- Consider the installation of a security alarm if your car does not have one.
- Turn your wheels to one side and set the parking brake. This makes it harder for a grab and tow type theft.